Sunday 31 December 2017

Rabbits are territorial

It was half past ten in the Night, just an hour into sleep when I found myself in an unknown gloomy scene then followed the noise of struggle as if two people were having a fierce fight. Flying objects, heavy thuds of feet, punches and the i beat you or i die resolve all could be felt from that noise.

As my focus shifted to where the noise was coming from, a loud high pitch cry like that of a baby who's been pinched by her nanny echoed from the other room where the rabbits lived. I sprang up from the bed as the cry re-echoed and scampered towards the cry.

By now I had realized it was the rabbits. Were they fighting or being attacked? That I did not know. I just kept running until I collided with a concrete wall, my head getting the rougher and harder part of the wall. The pain coupled with the dizziness of sleep made my whole body spin for a few seconds.

My hand reached my head in an attempt to stop the spinning, though my two feet and whole body had been in one position since.

As I got myself back the cry re-echoed, the rabbit gave out a loud and long cry before stopping. I could not find the light switch so I reorganized the room in my mind and went for the door knob, opened the door and rushed out.


The rabbits next door.

There they are! Two rabbits fighting, shameless father and son.

The younger rabbit had since surrendered by lying flat on the floor unable to move.

The other rabbit who happened to be the father of the younger rabbit ran off to the corner of the room where his honey's cage hung thumping and point ears towards me and the younger rabbit.

There were bald spots on the younger rabbits body and hair scattered all over the room. It really was a tense fight but how did the younger rabbit drop off his cage that hung up?

Raj had once told me that two same sex rabbits that aren't bonded will fight until one of them submits of gets seriously injured. When I asked why rabbits do this Raj gave e a scientific answer which is that rabbits are territorial animals.

In the wild they live in groups called colonies beneath the ground in what is called warren.

When rabbits give birth the older male will tolerate the young ones until they start producing hormones that give them their unique characters; they each start to have unique smell which by the way a human nose cannot pick up. When young males reach this age they are driven out of the colony by the older rabbit and they go out and eventually form their separate colonies.

In the wild rabbit warren there is no frequent fierce fighting between older males and younger ones because the bigger male rabbit starts hinting the small ones it's time to leave by nipping, and playing roughly with them. However, if a mature male should venture into the territory of another mature male rabbit a fierce fight is bound to happen.

Raj also talked much about the female rabbits and their territorial  behavior. Females in the wild he said are more tolerant of other females and in a warren you can find ten to twenty females living a harmonious life. Females like males use urine to objects and areas that belong to them. Occasional dropping of fecal pellets and chinning are other ways rabbits mark their territory. The intrusion of a female rabbit's territory by another female rabbit is met with thumping, nipping, pushing with the nose and spraying of urine. These mild reactions can sometimes culminate into a fierce fight.

as I bent over to look at the rabbit on the floor, I could see blood stains on the bald spots from where the older rabbit bit off hair, half its tail was gone too.

I gently ran my hand through its back to check for broken bones. It happened once to a friend of mine who introduced a young rabbit to his herd of two mature male and female. These two mature rabbits bullied the younger rabbit at night and broke its back bone (half the body was disconnected from the brain). The rabbit lived for another three days before it gave up.

I was told by another friend how his neighbors rabbit got its ear torn into half by another during a fight.

The younger rabbit I was with soon regained consciousness and started booping I picked it up, swiped its bloody tail with a clean towel then cleaned the wounds with a cotton ball soaked in saturated iodine. after that I returned the rabbit to the cage before returning to my room.

That young was going to be my replacement for the breeding buck who is getting old and now the rabbit is without tail.

Damn! will it transfer this physical attribute to its offspring? I need Raj right here to answer this...